LJIdol - 3 Strikes - Week 8
May. 22nd, 2022 09:51 amPrompt - "You are an opossum living in the trashcan of my heart"
---
I hear you went out with my ex last week. That makes what, five of my exes now that you have hooked up with?
Seven.
Seven? Wow. You are really just into those sloppy...
Don't say that phrase. Please. You know I hate that phrase. Don't be crass and classless today.
It's just a phrase.
It's a terrible phrase. It belittles both your exes and me and it brings forth terrible images, especially while we are eating lunch. I want to enjoy the sushi.
Okay, okay. Don't snap your chopsticks. But seriously, what is going on with you and all my exes?
Just think of me as the Burger King to your McDonald's. You spend all the time and effort to find the best places and then I just come rolling on in next door and give them another option.
That's a terrible analogy. It's more like you're rifling through my trashcan. Like a possum or something. Surviving on not even my leftovers, but the junk I've thrown away.
One person's trash is another person's treasure and all that, don't you know. But they really aren't trash, they were in your heart once.
Oh come on, you don't stay with them for any length of time either, you just use them up and leave them.
I will admit that I have not had any long relationships, but they don't feel used. They feel understood. Rebound relationships aren't meant to be more than that. We each get what we are looking for out of our time together.
Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more.
Well sure, that too, but it's more than just physical fulfillment. You know you leave them broken and unsure of themselves. I give them back their confidence and their self respect. And in return I get to feel like I am helping people. And I learn more too.
About sex?
No. Well, sometimes I guess.
About yourself then?
Not really. At least, not recently.
Then what can you possibly be learning from these people?
I'm learning about you.
...
I'm learning about what you like, what makes you uncomfortable. What makes you want to stay and what makes you pull away instead. They like to talk. Most of them need to talk. All I have to do is listen.
But... Why?
Because you are hard to get to know. You don't really tell me things about yourself. You put up a facade. You play a character you want others to see. And I want to get to know the real you.
By being with my exes?
Well... Yeah.
That is creepy.
No, it's... Safer.
Safer?
Less likely to drive you away or scare you off. I learn a lot and I don't risk losing you.
Safer than asking me things directly?
Safer than asking you... Out.
...
See. This is what I have been trying to avoid, this awkward...
Shhh.
...
...
What was that?
I kissed you. I would have hoped that was obvious.
Well, sure, but... You've never shown interest before.
You just told me you spent the last few years dating my exes just to get to know me better. That is a level of sacrifice that deserves more than a kiss.
...
I mean, it deserves respect.
It wasn't that big of a sacrifice.
No? Not even Blake? Or Sydney?
Okay, maybe Sydney was a little bit of a sacrifice...
A little?
Okay, a lot. But it was worth it.
No. It wasn't.
It wasn't?
No.
...
But it will be.
---
I hear you went out with my ex last week. That makes what, five of my exes now that you have hooked up with?
Seven.
Seven? Wow. You are really just into those sloppy...
Don't say that phrase. Please. You know I hate that phrase. Don't be crass and classless today.
It's just a phrase.
It's a terrible phrase. It belittles both your exes and me and it brings forth terrible images, especially while we are eating lunch. I want to enjoy the sushi.
Okay, okay. Don't snap your chopsticks. But seriously, what is going on with you and all my exes?
Just think of me as the Burger King to your McDonald's. You spend all the time and effort to find the best places and then I just come rolling on in next door and give them another option.
That's a terrible analogy. It's more like you're rifling through my trashcan. Like a possum or something. Surviving on not even my leftovers, but the junk I've thrown away.
One person's trash is another person's treasure and all that, don't you know. But they really aren't trash, they were in your heart once.
Oh come on, you don't stay with them for any length of time either, you just use them up and leave them.
I will admit that I have not had any long relationships, but they don't feel used. They feel understood. Rebound relationships aren't meant to be more than that. We each get what we are looking for out of our time together.
Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more.
Well sure, that too, but it's more than just physical fulfillment. You know you leave them broken and unsure of themselves. I give them back their confidence and their self respect. And in return I get to feel like I am helping people. And I learn more too.
About sex?
No. Well, sometimes I guess.
About yourself then?
Not really. At least, not recently.
Then what can you possibly be learning from these people?
I'm learning about you.
...
I'm learning about what you like, what makes you uncomfortable. What makes you want to stay and what makes you pull away instead. They like to talk. Most of them need to talk. All I have to do is listen.
But... Why?
Because you are hard to get to know. You don't really tell me things about yourself. You put up a facade. You play a character you want others to see. And I want to get to know the real you.
By being with my exes?
Well... Yeah.
That is creepy.
No, it's... Safer.
Safer?
Less likely to drive you away or scare you off. I learn a lot and I don't risk losing you.
Safer than asking me things directly?
Safer than asking you... Out.
...
See. This is what I have been trying to avoid, this awkward...
Shhh.
...
...
What was that?
I kissed you. I would have hoped that was obvious.
Well, sure, but... You've never shown interest before.
You just told me you spent the last few years dating my exes just to get to know me better. That is a level of sacrifice that deserves more than a kiss.
...
I mean, it deserves respect.
It wasn't that big of a sacrifice.
No? Not even Blake? Or Sydney?
Okay, maybe Sydney was a little bit of a sacrifice...
A little?
Okay, a lot. But it was worth it.
No. It wasn't.
It wasn't?
No.
...
But it will be.
no subject
Date: 2022-05-22 02:34 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2022-05-22 03:36 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2022-05-22 05:32 pm (UTC)I think we all see different sides of someone too though, you know? Wouldn't most/many exs' stories have the slant of anger about the friend, so ...I don't know. Sometimes I think the more exs someone slept with, the more you might receive stories of the worst way that person can be portrayed.
And, I guess your point stands, if you hear the worst and still love them, it's love?
I don't know. The character must be something else to intrigue the other so much.
Thanks for a new perspective that would have never occurred to me :) Very creative.
no subject
Date: 2022-05-22 10:24 pm (UTC)- Erulisse (one L)
no subject
Date: 2022-05-25 01:26 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2022-05-25 04:51 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2022-05-27 09:45 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2022-05-28 02:29 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2022-05-28 04:08 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2022-05-31 03:02 pm (UTC)